The American Road Trip: 10 Do's and Don'ts
By Gap 360
Last updated: 3rd September 2017
An American road trip is one of those must-do, bucket-list travel adventures. Cruising along the great American highways, seeing stunning landscapes and experiencing buzzing cities, nothing beats the thrills of being on the road in the USA.
Lucky for you, we have a fantastic range of coach tours around the USA: everything from short trips to full-on coast to coast adventures!
Check out our list of DOs and DON’Ts for these trips to make sure you have the best time possible!
- If you’re on a tour, leave the cliques for school, and DO speak to as many of the group as possible. You might just find yourselves leaving as a family!
- DO at least pretend you’re an international foodie! Some of the best food is local food, so tuck in!
- DO wear sunscreen, even if you don’t think you need to! The average burn time in Texas during summer is close to five minutes, so better safe than sorry!
- DON’T worry too much about the long coach journeys – the time goes quicker than you could ever imagine, especially if you keep good company!
- When visiting Monument Valley, or indeed anywhere high up, DO keep a good hold on your phone…!
- Packing is hard, especially when you’re moving every few days. DO remember to do a final check before leaving a hotel, lest you leave behind a favourite jumper, or have to replace your toothbrush three times in four weeks…!
- DON’T assume you will, or won’t, fall in love with certain places before you arrive. Every bit of the world is what you make of it, so it’s always worth assuming there’s something amazing to see!
- DO look out for each other whilst touring – having people’s backs means they’ll more than likely have yours!
- DO keep a record of what you’re up to, whether visual, through photos, or in written form. Reading back over your experiences, even just weeks later, is an amazing way to remember an adventure! (And DO back up your photos and / or writing somewhere!!)
- DO dive in head first. Say ‘yes’ to as many activities and opportunities as you can, and DON’T leave with regrets!
Fancy hitting the American open roads? Check out our fantastic range of USA trips and kick start an unforgettable adventure!