Absolute Melbourne Jobs
Live and work in magical Melbourne
Book now for £49
See all reviews
Group Size: Max 22
Trip code: MLPW
Duration: Up to 12 months
Dreaming of living and working Down Under? It's easy with this incredible working holiday package. Based in hip Melbourne, you'll start with an unforgettable week of fun, with food tours, mega bar-crawls and beach days, as well as an overnight excursion to the golden sands of Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island (think wine-tasting, surfing, kangaroos and tiny penguins!) Then kick off your job search in week 2. With job presentations, 1-on-1 work sessions, access to our massive jobs database and the full support of our local jobs team for up to 12 months, you're sure to find the Aussie job of your dreams! Salaries average £15 - £25 an hour and there are tons of employers looking for somebody just like you - what are you waiting for?
- Get set up with an Aussie bank account, tax number, SIM card and Medicare
- Find out everything you need to know at our comprehensive job presentations (including 1-on-1 sessions)
- Get the full support of our jobs team for 12 months and access to our awesome jobs database
- Enjoy surfing, wine tasting and wildlife encounters on beautiful Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island
- Spend a week in Melbourne with food tours, beach time, bar crawls and more
Absolute Melbourne Jobs is the ideal intro to living and working in this amazing Aussie city. Before you begin your job search, you'll enjoy a week of fun in Melbourne (including a night in Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island). Then kick-start your job search with the ongoing support of our local jobs team.
8 day Intro Week
Day 1: Welcome to Melbourne! Arrive in Melbourne and get set for the time of your life! You’ll be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation in the city where you can chill out and meet some of your fellow travellers before a first night in Melbourne.
Day 2: Welcome meeting & city tour. Kick off today with a welcome meeting where we'll organise your bank account, phone number and tax file number. Then get to know the city on an epic walking tour before an included welcome dinner on the banks of the Yarra River.
Day 3: Food tour & Aboriginal walk. Enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the Southern Hemisphere’s largest undercover market before taking an Aboriginal Heritage Walk through the Botanical Gardens. Then get stuck into our street art, food and drink tour. What a day!
Day 4: Beaches, wine & penguins. Head out of the city for our overnight road trip to Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island. Bliss out on some of the area's best beaches and check out some scenic viewpoints before a group wine tasting session - yum! Round off the day watching tiny penguins waddle across the beach as the sun goes down!
Day 5: Surf & meet kangaroos! Get into the ocean this morning for an epic surf lesson. After you've learnt how to ride the waves like a pro, you'll get a chance to get up close to some kangaroos and koalas and grab some pictures with your new furry mates!
Day 6: Job session & St Kilda. Back in magical Melbourne today we've got a comprehensive employment and travel session. Then head to the beautiful suburb of St Kilda. Stroll around the promenade, grab a coffee in one of the alfresco cafes or try some paddleboarding.
Day 7: Get job ready! Start today with a group jobs presentation before a dedicated 1-on-1 work and travel session. Tonight, unwind with a few beers and a pizza before heading out on Melbourne's biggest and best bar crawl with your mates.
Day 8: Rooftop BBQ. What better way to spend the final day of your intro week, than chilling on a rooftop in the sun with your new mates? We've lined up some beers and a classic Aussie BBQ , so grab a burger, and raise a glass to your incredible Aussie adventure!
Life Down Under
As well as all the activities in your intro week, you’ll also be provided with everything you need for life in Melbourne. This package really does take all the stress out of moving abroad.
The package includes:
- An Australian SIM card. You’ll be provided with a SIM card so that you can make and receive calls in Australia. Perfect for organising job interviews and keeping in touch with your new friends! Just remember to unlock your phone before you arrive.
- A Bank Account. You’ll get help setting up a bank account so that you can start earning and spending money.
- A Tax File Number. Vital if you want to work in Australia. Sorting a tax file number out can be complicated, but you’ll be helped every step of the way.
- Hostel Membership. You’ll be given a 12-month hostel membership which will score you hostel discounts all across Australia.
- Employment Presentation: On day 7, the local team will deliver a presentation that covers the main areas of life and work in Australia including: Rules of work and taxation, 2nd year visa extensions info, and CV and interview tips.
- Employment Information: During your meeting, you will receive detailed information packs that detail all the things covered in the presentation, plus a Rural Work Guidebook that features everything you need to know about rural work, including contact details for checked and approved rural employers.
- Personal Jobs Meeting. After your presentation, you will have a personal meeting with a jobs advisor where you can ask questions and receive bespoke jobs advice.
- Jobs Database: You will be connected to a jobs database that lists specialist jobs recruiters, working holiday visa employers and a Melbourne-based hospitality and labour firm’s vacancies.
- Working Community: You will be added to an online network of employers and working holiday job hunters. You can connect with local job opportunities on an exclusive Facebook group, plus you will be added to a WhatsApp Group with everyone in your week 1 group and your guide, where you can share opportunities and jobs tips.
- Employment Courses. You can opt to enrol in Barista Courses, RSA, RSG and White Card Courses to boost your employment opportunities.
Types of Jobs Available
There are a huge range of working opportunities across a range of employment sectors including:
- Labour Jobs
- Rural World
- Customer Service
Wages vary, but you can expect to earn somewhere between £10 and £15 an hour!
2nd and 3rd Year Working Holiday Visas
If you wish to stay and work in Australia for an additional year after your first visa expires then you just need to do 88 days of specified regional work during your first year in Australia. This programme can help you apply for regional jobs which would qualify you for the 2nd year visa!
Furthermore, if you qualify for a 2nd year working holiday visa and then spend 6 months during your second year doing regional work, you can also apply for a 3rd year working holiday visa too!
Ask a travel advisor for further details.
The prices will load here automatically, if this does not happen for you: Click here to view Prices
Cheapest flights between London and Melbourne for the next 6 months
Most expensive: £2,956 December, 2022
Your trip begins on day 1, which is usually a Sunday. You should fly into Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport (MEL) where one of the local team will meet you and transfer you to your accommodation. Transfers are available at any time of day. Check in and either chill out after your long flight, or get out there and explore the city. There are no activities planned today, so you've got some time to settle in.
7 nights of accommodation are included on this trip. You’ve got 6 nights in an up-market backpacker accommodation with modern designer rooms featuring iPod docking stations, high quality mattresses and flat screen TVs. Facilities include a rooftop terrace with spectacular city views, sun loungers and a swim spa, a fitness space with treadmill, cross trainer, exercise bike and multi-station gym, shared kitchen, lounge space, laundry facilities, full travel desk, and a balcony BBQ area for those iconic Aussie cookouts. You’ll stay in mixed dorm-style rooms with 4 – 8 bunk-style beds. Each bed has a lockable locker, private reading light and power points. Shared bathrooms are just down the hall.
You've also got 1 night in a stylish, modern hostel on Phillip Island. As well as a rooftop deck, the hostel offers a number of funky lounges, gourmet-style kitchen areas, free Wi-Fi and large balconies.
Let us know if you're travelling with a friend so we can make sure you're placed together. If you'd like to upgrade to a private room, it might be possible to arrange this at an additional cost. Please speak to a travel adviser for further details.
Accommodation beyond week 1
After your first 7 nights you'll need to organise your own accommodation. Many of our travellers choose to share a flat with the new friends they've made during their first week. Our local team will help you explore accommodation options in the city.
You might also choose to extend your stay in a hostel - a great option if you enjoy the social element and if you'd like to travel around. Hostels usually offer cheaper rates for long term stays.
3 lunches and 3 dinners are included in your first week, including a welcome meal and a farewell barbecue dinner on the hostel rooftop. You'll need to organise the rest of your meals and drinks yourself.
The minimum age to join this group trip is 18.
If you are planning to work in Australia, you will need a Working Holiday Visa. To be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Hold a passport issued by an eligible country or region
- Be aged 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of applying
- Not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
- Meet health, character and financial requirements
- Not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa (unless applying for a second visa)
- Be outside Australia when they apply and when their visa is granted
- Apply within 12 months of intended travel to Australia.
- Have sufficient funds to cover your expected living/trip costs during your stay
- Have funds for a return or onward ticket to depart Australia (or an actual ticket)
- Have health insurance
Gap 360 can apply for your visa as part of your package. Please select + WHV option at the time of booking on the dropdown list when selecting your date of travel.
Visa rules and regulations are subject to change. Please check the relevant embassy websites for up to date information.
This trip is designed with your safety and wellbeing in mind. As a result of Covid-19, many of our suppliers and partners around the world are introducing new policies and procedures surrounding health and safety in response to the Coronavirus outbreak. As the state of travel is evolving these new safety measures will adapt over time, and will be different for each trip. Here are some of the changes you may see on your trip:
Arrival safety meetings
Most trips have an arrival meeting on the first day where the guide or local team will run through the trip, the safety protocols, and to answer any questions you may have. Now more than ever it is important you arrive in time for these meetings.
Proof of vaccination or negative covid test
For the safety of all travellers, at the start of some trips you may be required to show evidence that you are fully vaccinated (14 days after your second dose) and/or show evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of the tour start date in order to join the programme.
Updated hygiene and safety procedures
Our suppliers and partners have health and safety procedures in place on all of our trips. These protocols will be updated and adapted as a response to the Coronavirus outbreak, dependent on local restrictions and laws.
Transport and accommodation choices
Our suppliers and partners choose the accommodation and transport on our trips very carefully, and you may see a change to what would normally be used as a response to the outbreak. This may involve such changes as enhanced use of private transport or quieter accommodation.
Trained and knowledgeable staff
Our staff in the UK are trained to help you with your trip before you depart and answer any questions you may have. In addition, the local team and guides on our trips are there to help with any health and safety concerns and to ensure our trips run safely and smoothly.
Reduced group sizes
Some trips will run with reduced group sizes to start with. You may find that trips are more intimate and chilled, whilst still being packed with fun and adventure.
Your guide or the local team will be on hand to help you seek medical attention should you require it during your trip. As medical facilities and standards can vary around the world, you should ensure you have adequate travel insurance in place before you depart to cover you for any medical emergencies.
24/7 emergency support
We operate an emergency phone line for our travellers abroad. This is operated by a UK based member of staff 24/7 if you have a genuine emergency or urgent matter that you need attending.
It is important that you take measures to make travelling safer for yourself and others around you. Ensure you frequently wash your hands, cover your face when you sneeze and cough, bring and use your own hand sanitiser and facial coverings/masks, and enable social distancing where necessary. You should also ensure you listen to the instructions and guidance of the local team at all times, and follow all local laws and restrictions.