Switch Up 360
Our most popular round-the-world trip - in reverse!
Book now for £500
Group Size: Varies
Trip code: S360
Duration: Up to 12 months or longer
We’ve taken our awesome Global 360 package and flipped it on its head! Defy the easterly spin of the earth and head west, ticking off five magical countries as you go! Begin with a 1-week road trip around America and take in electric cities and spectacular deserts. Continue the adventure Down Under with a flexible travel pass around New Zealand then jet across to Fiji and hop from island to island in search of the perfect beach before doing a fantastic jobs package in Australia – live and work in Oz for up to a year! Round off your global experience with an adventure tour around Thailand and soak up stunning landscapes and explosive nightlife. And if you want more you can throw in any of our other awesome programmes for the ultimate tailored experience!
All our 360 trips are fully flexible and tailor-made to suit you, so if you want to add in or take out tours then let your travel advisor know and you can plan your own perfect itinerary!
- Get the classic road trip experience in America – see the best of the west!
- Go island-hopping in Fiji and bus-tripping in New Zealand
- Get paid work in Australia for up to 12 months!
- Go adventuring and partying in Thailand
- Fully flexible – add in any of our other programmes in any country and build your own adventure!
Explore the world from east to west with our fantastic Switch-Up 360 package! Begin with a road trip across the USA, then explore New Zealand and Fiji, before settling down for a working holiday in Australia. Round off the adventure with an action-packed tour around Thailand!
Los Angeles to San Francisco Adventure (7 days)
- Day 1: Los Angeles. Arrive at any time and meet your tour guide and the rest of your group.
- Day 2: Los Angeles/Lake Havasu. Head into Joshua Tree National Park. Camp at Lake Havasu.
- Day 3: Lake Havasu/Grand Canyon. Visit the Grand Canyon, and hike around its southern rim, or descend into the depths of the gorge. Watch the sun set while enjoying pizza with your group and your guide.
- Day 4: Grand Canyon/Las Vegas. Join the iconic Route 66 and head to Las Vegas.
- Day 5: Las Vegas/Sierra Nevadas: Venture into the hottest, driest and lowest place on earth – Death Valley.
- Day 6: Sierra Nevadas/Yosemite National Park. Travel to the lush forests of Yosemite National Park.
- Day 7: Yosemite National Park/San Francisco. Glimpse the fantastic Golden Gate Bridge as you roll into San Francisco. Tour ends on arrival.
Kiwi Discovery Pass: Minimum 30 days, valid for 12 months
Valid for 12 months, your bus pass allows you to spend up to a year exploring New Zealand, or if you prefer you can complete the entire tour route in a minimum of 30 days (although we recommend you allow around 38 days to make the most of your travel pass experience).
You should arrange your arrival into Auckland the day before the tour begins, as there is an early start in the morning!
- Auckland to Paihia, Bay of Islands. Your flexible, hop-on-hop-off tour begins today at 7am in the lively city of Auckland. Your destination is the relaxing seaside town of Paihia, known as the ‘gateway to the Bay of Islands’. Visit Parry Kauri Forest Park.
- Paihia to Cape Reinga and Back. Stop off at Te Paki Stream to try some inclusive dune surfing and sandboarding, before arriving at Cape Reinga. Please note: Today is a round day trip from Paihia and you cannot hop off the bus today.
- Paihia to Auckland. Today is a free day to relax and enjoy Paihia at your leisure. Join a boat cruise, sign up to swim with dolphins, laze on the beach or hike to the famous Harura Falls. In the afternoon, the bus will take you back to the bright lights of Auckland.
- Auckland to Hahei. Travel south to the stunning Coromandel Peninsula and settle into your beachfront accommodation. Head over to Hot Water Beach to dig and relax in your own personal hot water pool! (weather & tide dependent)
- Hahei. Free day to relax and soak up the beautiful surroundings and awesome optional activities of Hahei.
- Hahei to Rotorua. Journey through the rolling hills of the Waikato region. Optional activities include visiting The Lord of the Rings Hobbiton set. Free day to relax and explore in geothermal Rotorua.
- Rotorua to Lake Aniwhenua. Maori guided tour, activities, meals and stay at Lake Aniwhenua (optional: extra cost of NZD89). Optional activities include: traditional fishing, eeling, weaving lessons, cooking classes and kayaking (cost NZD10-20).
- Lake Aniwhenua (via Taupo) to Whakahoro. See the stunning Huka Falls then visit Lake Taupo. Optional skydiving (approx NZD250). Rural country farm visit and overnight stay.
- Whakahoro. Explore the countryside around the rural country farm. Optional activities include a 4x4 tour, a horse trek or kayaking.
- Whakahoro to Raetihi. Explore the Tongariro National Park. Option to do legendary 1-day Tongariro Crossing Alpine Walk (extra cost). Stay overnight at a historic Nurses’ Home in Raetihi.
- Raetihi to Wellington. Travel to Wellington. Free time to explore New Zealand’s capital city.
- Wellington to Marahau (Abel Tasman National Park). 8am ferry to South Island (extra cost of approx. NZD55). Visit to Marlborough wine-making region (optional wine tasting). Final destination of the day is Marahau, on the edge of Abel Tasman National Park.
- Marahau (Abel Tasman National Park). Explore Abel Tasman National Park. Optional activities on offer include sailing, kayaking, skydiving, stand up paddleboarding or hang gliding. All optional activities are at an extra cost.
- Marahau to Franz Josef. Journey along the rugged west coast. See the seal colony at Cape Foulwind and the unusual Punakaiki Pancake Rocks with their impressive blowholes. Stop off at the mining town of Greymouth and Hokitika en route to Franz Josef.
- Franz Josef. Free day to explore the area around the fantastic Franz Josef Glacier. Join a guided bush hike, or enjoy a heli-hop and tour of the unique icy area, including entry to hot pools (extra cost of NZD250).
- Franz Josef to Wanaka. See Lake Matheson, travel through Haast Pass and Makarora, see Lake Hawea then end up in Wanaka in the late afternoon.
- Wanaka to Queenstown. Early walk up Mount Iron or skydive (skydive extra cost). On to Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world! Spend 2 unforgettable nights here.
- Queenstown to Gunn’s Camp. Start early for a scenic drive past Lake Wakatipu, before arriving in magical Milford Sound. Opt to do a Milford Sound boat cruise (extra cost) before travelling on to Gunn’s Camp.
- Gunn’s Camp to Invercargill/Stewart Island. Take a leisurely stroll through beautiful beech forests on a Viewing Gantry walk. Travel South to Invercargill. Hop across to Stewart Island (ferry at own cost) or stay in Invercargill overnight instead.
- Invercargill/Stewart Island to Queenstown. If you stayed on Stewart Island, enjoy a free morning before travelling back to the mainland (ferry at own cost). If you chose to stay in Invercargill overnight, you’ll head out on a tour sea-lion, penguin and dolphin spotting. Travel back to Queenstown.
- Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook. Arrive at the base of New Zealand’s highest mountain Aoraki/ Mt Cook in the early afternoon. Take a short walk, join a 4WD tour or visit the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre.
- Mount Cook to Rangitata (via Tekapo). Journey through ‘Lord of the Rings country’ and stop off at the sparkling waters of Lake Tekapo. Take an optional hike up to Mt John observatory for a killer view. Tonight, stay in an original sheep station in Rangitata Peel Forest.
- Rangitata to Christchurch. Optional white water rafting or horse riding this morning. Spend the night in the wonderful city of Christchurch.
- Christchurch to Kaikoura. Journey up the beautiful east coast to Kaikoura. Spot seals, soak up the spectacular views, swim with dolphins or go whale-spotting (seasonal).
- Kaikoura (via Picton) to Wellington. Travel along the wild coast, stopping at a seal colony en route to Picton. You can choose to stop off here, or catch a ferry (extra cost of NZD51-75) across the Cook Strait to Wellington.
- Wellington to Auckland. Leaving at 6.40am, you’ll zip back to your starting point in Auckland today, arriving in the late afternoon. Here your epic hop-on-hop-off adventures come to an end!
Don’t forget, you can hop on and off along the route for up to a year! We will book the pass for you as open dated, so you can decide the date that you want to start the pass- please download the trip notes for more details.
Fancy an adventure tour rather than flexible travel? Why not swap in our action packed Grand Kiwi trip? This fantastic 18-day experience packs in stunning national parks, gorgeous river cruises, and an adrenaline-pumping mountain bike ride! Plus – all transport and accommodation is included!
Fiji Island Hopping: 8 days
- Day 1: Welcome to Fiji! Touch down in Fiji and meet your guide who will transfer you to your accommodation in Nadi. Meet the rest of your group at a welcome dinner and drinks. Your Fiji Island Hopping trip has begun!
- Day 2: The Coral Coast. Head south to the Coral Coast. Enjoy a boat trip around the Vatulele and Yanuca Islands, and try snorkelling, kayaking (extra cost) and a tasty beach BBQ. Back at the resort, chill out with sunset yoga and kava around the bonfire.
- Day 3: SUP’ing and Waterfalls. Time to get active with a spot of stand up paddle boarding this morning! This afternoon, delve into the forest and discover the Novala Falls. Head back to the resort for drinks by the beach.
- Day 4: Yasawa Islands. Cruise across to the Yasawa Islands. Check in to the gorgeous Blue Lagoon resort and tuck into a delicious meal at a local restaurant. Spend the rest of the day as you wish.
- Day 5: Local Village Experience. Visit some stunning limestone caves and meet local people at a nearby village. Immerse yourself in Fijian culture, play some games with the village children and learn a thing or two from the village elders.
- Day 6: Waya Island. This morning it is time to explore a new island as we jump on a boat to Waya Islands. Experience some sunset tubing and float in the sea with a beer in hand – not to be missed! Tonight, you’ll gather around the fire and watch some crab racing!
- Day 7: Weaving and Snorkelling. Try out your weaving skills with traditional Voivoi weaving or you could head to the local craft market! Then head to the ocean and try to find Nemo and his friends with a spot of snorkelling before seeing a traditional Meke show and farewell drinks.
- Day 8: Tour ends. Your incredible Fiji trip has come to an end! Your guide will help you organise your return transfer to Nadi. We recommend you book an extra night of accommodation in Nadi tonight (extra cost) and fly out tomorrow.
Absolute Oz Jobs: 8 days + Independent work/travel in Australia (approx. 6-7 months)
Our Absolute Oz Jobs programme is the ideal introduction to Australian paid work. You’ll enjoy one week of amazing activities & sightseeing in Sydney first:
- Day 1: Arrive in Sydney. Arrival day and free time.
- Day 2: Sydney walking tour. See Darling Harbour, the Botanic Gardens and Opera House. Welcome dinner.
- Day 3: Sydney. 9.15am: A comprehensive job orientation. Boat party in Sydney Harbour. Lunch included.
- Day 4: Beach Camp. Depart Sydney for a 2-night Beach Camp adventure. Dinner included.
- Day 5: Beach Camp. 4x4 tour of the sand dunes (plus sandboarding!). Learn about Aboriginal culture and go on a bushwalk. Breakfast, lunch & dinner included.
- Day 6: Beach Camp–Sydney. Browse the coastline for bottlenose dolphins on a boat cruise. Head back to Sydney. Breakfast included.
- Day 7: Party night. Free day to relax and plan your onward travels. Entry to 4 city bars and clubs (plus 4 inclusive drinks!). Hop on a party bus and explore the streets in style!
- Day 8: Bondi to Coogee Beach Tour. Beach walking tour. Intro week ends this afternoon.
Alongside this action-packed itinerary you'll also enjoy theme nights, quizzes and drinks deals at your hostel which will lead to some unforgettable nights in Oz! Bring it on!
Let the Job Hunt Begin!
Now it’s time to kick-start your Aussie job search. Our job support team will give you all the help and advice you’ll need in order to secure yourself a paid Aussie job. You also have a full 12 months of job support. The programme includes:
- 12 months access to the online jobs network and vacancies nationwide
- A CV review service
- An orientation
- Advice about setting up your own Australian bank account before you go
- An Aussie mobile phone SIM card
- A Tax File Number
- Access to free Wi-Fi
- A 12-month mail holding service
- Help and advice about long-term accommodation
Using the job database you’ll have access to over 1900 job adverts at any one time, so the sky’s the limit when it comes to finding paid jobs in Oz! Wage rates will vary, but you can expect to earn around £10-£15 per hour.
Thai Adventure: 25 days
Enjoy 25 days of group exploration with an expert tour guide, immersed in the fascinating culture and beauty of Thailand. Uncover hidden city treasures in Bangkok, visit temples, explore National Parks, go adventure trekking, meet elephants, and laze on sun-drenched sands on idyllic islands. This experience is designed to show you all the sides of Thailand’s personality and is the ideal way to meet new people in amazing Asia.
Our travellers on this programme get access to a buddy list, so you can connect with other travellers going on the same trip and start to make friends before you go. Plus, all your accommodation and travel are included! Brilliant!
- Week 1: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Elephant Project & Hill Trekking
Kick off in vibrant Bangkok. Enjoy boat tours, temple visits and banging nights out. Travel to Chiang Mai overnight where you’ll take part in a cookery course, and spend time in an amazing elephant camp, helping to feed, bathe and care for the animals. Round off with a hike through the northern foothills, including bamboo rafting and a night in a rustic retreat.
- Week 2: Koh Phi Phi, Mangrove Kayak Trip, Island Boat Tour & Khao Sok National Park
Fly to the glorious South, where we’ll spend 4 nights on beautiful Phi Phi. Chillax on the beach, party under the stars, and discover the surrounding islands on an epic boat trip. Transfer to Ao Nang where you’ll join a street food crawl, kayak through mangrove forests, and cruise to the paradise islands of Hong and Poda. Then head inland to the spectacular Khao Sok National Park where you’ll stay on the lake in a float-house!
- Week 3: Koh Samui, Ang Thong Marine Park, & Koh Phangan
It’s back to the beach life with 3 nights on lovely Koh Samui. Bronze your bod, splash about in the sea and go ‘out out’ in Chaweng! Spend a blissful day kayaking and snorkelling in Ang Thong Marine Park, before cruising to the legendary party island of Ko Phangan. Beach, sleep, party, repeat!
- Week 4: Koh Tao & Bangkok
Soak up the sun on Koh Tao for the next few days where you might opt to enjoy some of the world class diving. We’ll take a boat trip to the best snorkelling and kayaking spots as well as the stunning island of Koh Nang Yuan, before travelling back to good old Bangkok for a last night out before the Thai leg of your adventure comes to an end.
This is our 2020 Thai Adventure itinerary. If you are looking to travel in 2019 check out our Thai Adventure 2019 itinerary
Please download the trip notes for more detailed itineraries and inclusion details.
The prices will load here automatically, if this does not happen for you: Click here to view Prices
Arrive into Los Angeles on day 1 and travel to the accommodation for a welcome meeting with your group leader. Airport transfers are not included.
Your tour ends in San Francisco on day 7. Return airport transfers are not included but the city airport is easily accessible and we can advise you about the best transfer options. If you depart on day 7, you should not book a flight that departs before 9pm.
You should plan your own transport to arrive in Auckland for the start of your Kiwi Discovery travel pass. As day 1 begins with an early 7.00am bus departure, you will need to plan your arrival in to Auckland for the previous day and arrange accommodation at your own cost. You will need to let us know where you are staying in advance so we know where to pick you up from. We can help advise you about accommodation in Auckland, just ask one of our travel advisors.
The tour begins in Nadi on day 1. You will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation. The transfer service is available between 7am and 10pm. If you arrive outside of these hours an out of hours transfer can be arranged for around £10 (payable locally). We recommend you arrive before 6pm to be in time for the evening welcome dinner.
If you wish to arrive in Fiji the day before, you are still entitled to an included airport transfer, so long as you pre-book your extra night of accommodation with us. Please speak to a travel advisor for more information.
Your tour ends on Waya Island on day 8. A return transfer back to the mainland is not included but your guide will help you arrange this. You can take a boat back to Nadi at approximately FJD$170-210. We recommend you book an extra night of accommodation in Nadi that night (extra cost) and fly out the next day.
You should arrange your flights to arrive into Sydney Airport (SYD) on a Sunday, depending on your start date. You will need to go to a pre-set meeting point at Sydney airport and a greeter will direct you to the shuttle bus which will take you directly to your hostel to begin your first week of fun and adventure!
Arrive into Bangkok on day 1 of your tour. You will be met at the airport by your group leader, who will take you to your hotel and introduce you to the rest of your group. Your Thai Adventure ends back in Bangkok on day 25. Return airport transfers are not included.
6 nights’ accommodation are included from the start date of the tour. You will stay in a combination of hotels/hostels and camping accommodation. You will be provided with a two-person dome tent and a self-inflating mattress. You need to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.
4 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 4 dinners are provided as part of the tour. The remaining meals offer a great chance for you to try out local cuisine and explore some of the local restaurants and street food vendors.
Accommodation and meals are not included as part of this hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Each stop-off on the bus route offers unique accommodation options, which we offer our travellers at a reasonable cost, with a typical night costing about NZD25-30 for a dorm room and NZD60-80 for a twin or double room*. We reserve accommodation in all our overnight stops so you’ll be guaranteed one night’s accommodation in each overnight stop if you want it. If you wish to take advantage of this offer, tell your guide/driver and they will book it for you (you pay as you go).
If you wish to choose your own accommodation, or want to stay longer in any of the locations along the route, to make the most of your 12 months flexible bus pass, then you are free to select your own accommodation and your guide can help you with advice and booking.
*Please note: in peak season twin and double rooms may have limited availability.
7 nights of shared, dorm accommodation is included on this trip.
At the final two resorts there is a compulsory daily meal package that is not included in the trip cost. At Blue Lagoon the meal plan costs FJD119 per day and at Waya Island the daily meal plan costs FJD119 per day. In total, the meal plan payments will cost around £150-200, which covers breakfasts, lunches and dinners at those resorts.
Week 1: Sydney and Beach Camp
Accommodation for the first 7 nights of your stay is included, in a city centre hostel in Sydney during nights 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7, and in shared accommodation during your stay at beach camp on nights 4 and 5.
In your hostel in Sydney, you’ll enjoy modern facilities in shared dorm accommodation with up to 10 people. The hostel is a hub of exciting city action, with its own backpacker bar. The onsite café serves breakfast and there’s also a kitchen with fridges and storage. The hostel has 24-hour reception, phone booths on every floor, security lockers, laundry facilities, Internet and Wi-Fi, and a postal service.
Some meals are included in week 1: A welcome dinner and drink, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners and 4 free drinks. Other meals are not included.
What do I do about accommodation after the first week in Australia?
After the first 7 days of accommodation some people decide to extend their stay in a hostel or to rent an apartment. The most popular option is to rent an apartment, and our team in Sydney can assist you with this. The advantage of renting is that it is the cheaper option and you get your own private room. Our customers often end up renting a place with the friends they meet in their first week on the programme. You can expect to pay £100-£150 per week. The minimum contract is normally 3 months but some agencies will ask you to commit to six months.
Alternatively you can extend your stay in a hostel. This is a great option for those that want to travel around quite a lot. Hostels offer cheaper rates for those that want a long term stay, for example for one month or more. It is really easy to book accommodation in hostels. You can often walk in and get a room that day but we recommend that you make a reservation the night before. Depending on where you stay in Australia, you can expect to pay around £140-£175 per week.
Please note that when you are working in Australia, you will earn enough to cover your living expenses like rent, food and bills. If you would like any more information, please contact us for more details.
Accommodation is included for the full 25 days of the tour. For the majority of the trip your accommodation will be in multi-share dorms in modern hostels. Meals are not included, except lunch at the Elephant Park and meals during the Hill Trek. This provides an excellent opportunity to engage with local people at restaurants and market stalls and to sample authentic local cuisine. Food in Southeast Asia is very cheap so eating out won’t break the bank!
The minimum age to join this package trip is 18. For the Absolute Oz Jobs programme you must be aged 18-30 due to working Holiday Visa restrictions.
Please note the legal age for drinking alcohol in the USA is 21. If you are under 21, you will not be permitted to enter pubs, bars or casinos and may not be able to take part in some of the additional optional activities on the tour.
British Nationals visiting the USA will be able to travel for tourism purposes under the US Visa Waiver Programme for durations of up to 90 days. All travellers going to the United States will have to complete the ESTA form online for authorisation under the Visa Waiver Programme. If you intend to stay for longer than this, plan to work, have ever been arrested or hold any criminal convictions, you will need to apply for a visa.
British nationals can stay in New Zealand for up to six months as tourists. If you are planning on working at all during your time in New Zealand, you will need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (available to 18-30 year olds) and can do this by visiting the New Zealand Immigration website.
Visitors who are transitting through or entering New Zealand as tourists will need to hold an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) before travelling to New Zealand. Tourists will also need to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) alongside the ETA. People entering New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa do not require an ETA.
British nationals do not need a visa for visits to Fiji of up to 4 months, providing you have an onward or return travel ticket.
Due to Working Holiday Visa (WH Visa) age restrictions, this trip is only available to 18-30 year olds. As you are planning to work in Australia you’ll need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa. You can book a Working Holiday Visa through Gap 360 or apply online. To be eligible, applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Hold a passport issued by an eligible country or region
- Be aged 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of applying
- Not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during their stay in Australia
- Meet health, character and financial requirements
- Not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa (unless applying for a second visa)
- Be outside Australia when they apply and when their visa is granted
- Apply within 12 months of intended travel to Australia.
- Have sufficient funds to cover your expected living/trip costs during your stay
- Have funds for a return or onward ticket to depart Australia (or an actual ticket)
- Have health insurance
You will need to apply for Medicare once you are in Australia and in order to do this please ensure that you can provide TWO forms of ID e.g. passport, driving licence, birth certificate.
British nationals can enter Thailand without a visa for a stay of up to 30 days, although if you arrive across a land border you can only stay for 15 days.